We previously explored the growing importance of proper passport & ID scanner solutions for hotels, where we discussed how a hotel ID scanner could help you streamline your hotel operations. Today, we're going to talk about how to choose the right ID scanner for your specific hotel needs.
Choosing the right ID scanner for your hotel is an important decision that can help create a safe and secure environment for your guests and staff. An ID scanner verifies guest IDs, ensuring that only people with valid government-issued identification can enter the premises. It also provides additional information on guests, such as their age, nationality, address, and other personal data. This information makes it easier to detect fraud or any suspicious activity.
When choosing an ID scanner for your hotel, there are several factors you should consider:
1. Security: Your top priority when choosing an ID scanner should be security. Look for options that include "Do Not Rent" capability.
You'll also want to consider software that saves the ID for guest identification.
2. Accuracy: The accuracy of an ID scanner can make a big difference in preventing fraudulent activity at your hotel. Look for scanners that accurately fill in your Property Management System (PMS) and save a picture of the ID.
TIP: ID Finder is a new utility that will allow you to find the IDs with simple search criteria, like name, ID etc. This helps dispute chargebacks and increased security confirmation when someone has lost a key.
3. Reduce Chargebacks: Look for scanning software that will reduce chargebacks by quickly retrieving the information you have in the guest’s folio.
4. Cost: Choose an ID scanner that fits your budget while providing you with the necessary features and security. Consider the initial cost of purchasing the scanner and any ongoing maintenance or updates costs.
5. Ease of Use: Look for an ID scanner that is easy to use and requires minimal training and setup. An intuitive interface will help you quickly and easily scan IDs so that your guests can proceed with their check-in quickly.
6. Scalability: The size of your hotel may determine the type of ID scanner you need. If you plan to expand in the future, look for a scalable scanner so it can grow as your business does.
Now that you've identified some important factors to consider when choosing an ID scanner for your hotel, you can start researching the best options for your needs.
Which ID scanners available here at TTI Technologies could best fit your hotel's needs? Here are a few of our offerings.
The Desko ICON Scanner® is our best-selling and scans driver’s licenses, passports, and other government IDs from all over the world. It scans 400 x 400 dpi and can scan both sides of a Driver’s License. It has a small footprint, and since it gets power from the USB, it has only one cord. Most front desk clerks love that feature!
The DESKO ICON does not have a cover plate because it has software that reduces background light. It is not recommended for low-light areas. Scan time is about 4 seconds per side Comes with a 1-year or 2-year warranty.
The I-Dentify™ ID-150 Card Drivers License Scanner and ID-150 A Drivers license scanner with Authentication only scan Driver’s Licenses and similar government IDs; they do not scan passports.
This a great scanner because it is like an ATM machine and draws the ID in and scans both sides simultaneously. About a 7-second scan, you don’t have to flip it over to read the barcode in the back.
It has 600 x 600 dpi. It is nice and compact but does require both a power cord and a USB cord to the terminal.
The ID-150A adds the ability to Authenticate IDs (meaning to find fake IDs). It has ultraviolet and infrared scanning to look for ID tampering. When paired with our authentication software, it compares the ID with all templates to find any deviation, and if there is one, a pop-up announces that there are issues that may not be accurate.
Desko Penta® is a fast (2 seconds per side) scanner that scans driver’s licenses, passports, and other Government IDs from all over the world.
Larger and faster than the ICON, it also needs a power cord and USB cord like the ID 150. This powerful scanner can be used in lower-light areas. It offers 600 x 600 dpi and is Desko’s most popular scanner.
Desko Penta® UV is the same, but with the attributes and extra features of the ID-150A, it has ultraviolet and infrared scanning.
Learn more about all our ID & Passport Scanners here >>
Taking the time to research and compare different models of ID scanners is essential when deciding which one is right for your hotel. Investing in a quality scanner now can save you time, money, and headaches down the road. With careful consideration, you can choose an ID scanner that provides maximum security and accuracy for your hotel.
Now that you know how to choose the right ID scanner for your hotel do some research and compare different models before making a final decision. Consider all factors carefully to make an informed choice and protect yourself from fraud or other security risks. Investing in a quality ID scanner now can save you time, money, and headaches in the future.
Have questions? Feel free to reach out!